JEWISH COMMUNITY SERVICES
OF SOUTH FLORIDA, INC.
EOE / DFWP
Job Title: HELPline Counselor – Level 1
Department: Helpline Services
Reports To: Team Leader
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Prepared By: Coralie Patterson
Approved By: Richard Shutes
Approved Date: 1/1/2017
SUMMARY: The HELPline Crisis Counselor provides telephone information, referrals, crisis counseling as well as suicide intervention to callers upon completion of a thorough assessment and identification of most presenting needs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provides appropriate information and referrals to social service agencies for callers contacting the Helpline.
2. Ensures data is accurately entered into the client database in a timely manner.
3. Provides telephone crisis counseling as well as suicide intervention services to callers experiencing crisis situations.
4. Participates in trainings, seminars, workshops and in-services related to program and professional development.
5. Maintains an effective working relationship with colleagues through the use of appropriate interpersonal and communication skills.
6. Consistently adheres to assigned schedule and demonstrates flexibility in regards to call center coverage needs.
7. Provides outstanding customer service to callers & accurately documents all calls into software.
8. Adheres to confidentiality policies and procedures as well as HIPAA regulations.
9. Obtains Certification as an Information & Referral Specialist through Alliance for Information & Referral Systems (AIRS).
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
1. Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
2. Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Responds to requests for service and assistance.
3. Interpersonal Skills - Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control.
4. Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions.
5. Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
6. Diversity - Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences.
7. Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
8. Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
9. Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures.
10. Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
11. Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in Social Work or Human Service field. Equivalent experience and demonstrated skill in social services may be considered.
Two years’ experience in providing information and referral services, preferred.
One or more years in crisis counseling or clinical work preferred.
Strong interpersonal skills.
Ability to communicate information calmly and effectively in emergency or high stress situations.
Ability to work effectively and with sensitivity with culturally diverse populations.
Skilled in managing multiple tasks.
Skilled in the use of personal computers and related software applications.
Bilingual preferred (French, Creole or Spanish).
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization. Bilingual English/Spanish and/or English/Creole French.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of and be proficient in Microsoft Office, email and intranet.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.